Common Causes of Water Damage in Knoxville Homes
If your Knoxville home has endured water damage, SERVPRO is Here to Help.
SERVPRO Water Damage Mitigation Specialists Restore Knoxville Residences After Disaster Occurs
Water damage is among the most common disasters in the United States and can impact a property without warning. Miniscule perforations in pipes, damaged gaskets, leaky supply lines, and fixture failures are just a few of the many causes of water damage Knoxville homeowners have to endure. Worse still, these disasters can go unnoticed for days or weeks in some situations, leading to skyrocketing water bills, structural damage, and mold proliferation.
SERVPRO water cleanup professionals provide Knoxville properties with water damage removal services 24/7, even on holidays. Disasters do not impact properties on a predictable schedule, and even minor incidents can quickly escalate into more significant problems. With this in mind, SERVPRO professionals can quickly restore homes affected by water damage to minimize repair and replacement needs.
The Most Common Causes of Residential Water Damage
While homeowners may be concerned about how weather can impact their properties, the truth is that a considerable amount of water damage results from non-weather sources. Temperature changes or lacking insulation alone can affect the integrity of plumbing or appliances.
- Plumbing-related disasters are easily among the most common for water damage cleanup. Worn threading, loose pipe joints, perforations, and ruptures from frozen pipes or clogged pipes all can introduce hundreds of gallons of water into a property in a short period
- Appliances that rely on water, such as dishwashers, washing machines, and refrigerators, can experience supply line leaks, torn door gaskets, and drainpipe clogs that impact flooring, drywall, cabinetry, and other nearby materials
- Drain clogs can also create issues in other water-using appliances. A toilet clog can impact sinks or showers, for example
- Some water damage is accidental. A busy homeowner may start running a bathtub and leave it running enough to overflow or run the dishwasher without closing the door all the way
Whatever the cause may be, SERVPRO tools and knowledge can safely sanitize and remediate structures and contents to a clean, dry condition.
SERVPRO Moisture Extraction Equipment for Various Water-Impacted Surfaces
SERVPRO technicians can implement water extraction with a suite of tools tailored to multiple water damage scenarios.
- Smaller-scale damages, or moisture in hard-to-reach nooks and crannies, can be addressed with portable extractors, which provide approximately 140 inches of water lift in ideal conditions. These units come with sanitation solution and wastewater tanks that each carry between five and 12 gallons
- Truck-mounted units are designed for large amounts of moisture affecting a property. These units can weigh up to about half a ton and can store dozens of gallons of water
- Specialized tools are available for salvaging carpet, including carpet wands, rover vacuums, and submersible pumps
Moisture extractors eliminate the bulk of excess water in and on surfaces, including upholstery and carpet, to accelerate the drying process, performed with carefully-positioned air movers and dehumidification units. Most water damage scenarios are likely to rely on low-grain refrigerant coil dehumidifiers. Depending on the structural materials affected and the power sources available, desiccant dehumidification can be a more effective choice.
When water homeowners need water removal services that make a property look and feel “Like it never even happened,” they can contact SERVPRO of Rocky Hills / Sequoyah Hills / South Knoxville at (865) 862-8907.
How Knoxville Homeowners Eliminate Fire Damage Stains and Odors
After the heroic first responders have extinguished the fire at your Knoxville property, Call SERVPRO for fire damage restoration.
Knoxville SERVPRO fire Damage Mitigation Addresses Stains, Odors, Residues, and Debris
Whether it comes from cooking, electrical component ignition, or even lit candles, residential fire damage can leave behind residues and odors that are challenging to mitigate in full. While wet and dry cleaning options are available for homeowners, a “do-it-yourself” solution does not guarantee that the problems created by smoke damage, namely acidic soot stains and fire odors, can be removed entirely.
SERVPRO fire damage cleanup specialists can restore Knoxville homes to a safe, clean, pre-fire state. Services offered by this Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) accredited firm include debris removal, controlled demolition, sanitation with EPA-registered biocides, odor control, and rebuilding.
What Makes Fire Damage Stains So Difficult to Remove?
Fire and smoke damage cleanup requires a specific level of care that might not be immediately obvious to homeowners seeking to clean their properties themselves. On top of that, cleaning the damage without the right tools and knowledge can cause further damage to structures and contents, which can impact compensation efforts from a home insurance provider.
- Soot clings to a wide array of surfaces. It seeps into porous and unfinished materials and settles in the nooks and crannies. It can also clog up HVAC systems and etch into ceramics and glass without delicate treatment
- Fire damage residues typically require gentle cleaning before moving on to more heavy-duty solutions. Moving from light soils to heavier ones during cleanup minimizes the potential for secondary damages from spreading soot
- Personal protective equipment (PPE) is a must for keeping home occupants safe. Soot and fire odors can heavily impact comfort and indoor air quality. In the event of a fire that required water for fire suppression, there is a chance that mold is present if suppression services were rendered more than 24 to 48 hours before cleanup efforts commenced
Because of the risks, level of care, and potential for secondary damages caused by fire and smoke damage, fire damage restoration specialists are highly recommended for a more comprehensive and safe cleanup after a residential structure fire.
SERVPRO Fire Damage Stain and Odor Removal Tools
SERVPRO fire restoration technicians can respond to residential cleanup calls in as little as several hours. After inspecting the property for damage and formulating a cleanup plan, technicians can:
- Use dry cleaning sponges, Crumbly Cleaner, dust cloths, and gentle agitating tools to dislodge dry soot from surfaces for collection with HEPA-filter vacuums
- Deploy OSHA-approved wet cleaning solutions, including detergents and alkaline cleaners, for more moderate stains and residues from fires
- Eliminate protein residues from burnt meat–typically a result of cooking fires–by turning them into water-soluble byproducts for cleanup by SERVPRO’s enzyme digesters
- Salvage heavily charred wood furniture and structural materials with abrasion cleaning. Soda ash, one of the more commonly-used blast media, also deodorizes to an extent
- SERVPRO odor control with dry solvent-emitting thermal foggers, HVAC system cleanup, and time-release capsules, among other solutions, can eliminate odors on the particle level instead of merely masking them
We’re Faster To Any Size Disaster and ready to serve the community after fire damage strikes. Call SERVPRO of Rocky Hills / Sequoyah Hills / South Knoxville for assistance at (865) 862-8907.
We Mitigate Knoxville Mold Damage
Mold can appear suddenly and spread quickly throughout your Knoxville home. Call our certified SERVPRO team to root out the cause and remediate any da
SERVPRO Mold Damage Mitigation is Available 24/7 for Knoxville Homeowners
According to World Health Organization (WHO) statistics, approximately 30% of homes worldwide are impacted by excess mold. Knoxville homeowners need a fast-responding mold remediation solution that returns their property to a safe, almost mold-free condition.
SERVPRO professionals aid property owners with sophisticated tools and technologies for mold damage mitigation in Knoxville. Techs handle every step of the remediation process, from mold inspection to rebuilding structures impacted enough by mold to require demolition. While total mold removal is not possible due to microbes in all indoor and outdoor spaces, SERVPRO tools can mitigate microbes to a pre-disaster condition.
Home Solutions for Knoxville Mold Damage Mitigation
Mold cleanup for homeowners is not an advisable venture to pursue. Mold remediation professionals like those at SERVPRO can keep homeowners safe from microbes while mitigating per Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) specifications.
Considerations homeowners should take into account include:
- Personal protective equipment is a must for safely handling mold to minimize risks posed by exposure
- Mold spores can spread quickly through movements that jostle microbes, which allows them to float to other spaces, settle on surfaces, and digest more items
- Handling home contents exposed to microbial growth can unintentionally spread spores around the property
Certified SERVPRO mold mitigation technicians can safely sanitize spaces with EPA-registered antimicrobials, perform odor control, and establish containment and decontamination areas to prevent mold from spreading and potentially creating further damage.
SERVPRO Availability Ensures Around-the-Clock Mold Cleanup
This 24-hour restoration crew’s commitment to the community ensures that, whether the mold is discovered late at night, over the weekend, or even during a significant holiday, SERVPRO can begin remediation within hours of a Knoxville property owner’s first call to the firm. This approach is crucial for a multitude of reasons, including:
- SERVPRO’s 24/7 responsiveness minimizes further damage to a home’s structural materials and contents with mold remediation tools that meet restoration industry–and SERVPRO standards
- SERVPRO moisture extraction and structural drying equipment can mitigate moisture that accelerates mold growth and allows microbes to thrive on porous surfaces
- Technicians utilize personal protective equipment (PPE) to perform mold remediation. Containment protocols, such as sealing doorways and ventilation systems, prevent spores from migrating to other rooms
- SERVPRO professionals can also clean HVAC systems to remediate mold to pre-contamination levels
Knoxville homes can also benefit from SERVPRO’s emergency-response inspection processes and controlled demolition of unsalvageable materials. Commercial-grade restoration equipment also allows mold remediation technicians to safely remove spores and clusters from a residence without the accidental spread of spores. HEPA-filtered air scrubbers and vacuums aid in collecting spores as well.
Odor control specialists can address pungent mold odors through such methods as ultra-low-volume fogging, manual cleaning, pump sprayer applications, and immersion cleaning for salvageable items.
Homeowners seeking fast-acting mold damage remediation can contact SERVPRO of Rocky Hills / Sequoyah Hills / South Knoxville at (865) 862-8907 to make it “Like it never even happened.”
General Content Cleaning Counts During Fire Damage Restoration in Knoxville
Clearing the indoor air of fire-causing particles is crucial for Knoxville occupants. "Like it never even happened."
SERVPRO Uses Advanced Equipment for Fire Damage Cleanup in Knoxville
Fire damage restoration services are meant to give relief to property owners after the fire has been put out. You're mistaken if you thought you could relax once the fire is extinguished. When smoke and soot particles mix with the water used to extinguish the fire, corrosive acids may form, which are likely to cause additional damage to the walls, ceilings, and other personal belongings.
The safety of the occupants is usually given the highest priority during fire damage cleanup in Knoxville. After that, cleaning and restoring the affected items should follow. Our SERVPRO technicians perform general content cleaning to remove soot, odor, smoke, and other contaminants from your electronics, clothing, furniture, and more.
An air scrubber is one of the key devices that our SERVPRO technicians use to remove contaminants from the air. It uses both chemical and mechanical means to do the cleaning. The following explains the mechanism behind its operations:
- Chemical filtration: During smoke odor removal, the air is passed over activated carbon, and the contaminants get absorbed and neutralized. For high levels of efficiency, the carbon gets reactivated or replaced after some time.
- Mechanical filtration: Air is passed over a series of filters (HEPA filter) and then released back into the environment after the filtration of contaminants.
- Ozone generation: Some scrubbers use ozone gas to oxidize and neutralize pollutants leaving the air odor-free and clean.
- UV light: UV light is used in some scrubbers to break down the DNA of viruses, bacteria, and mold spores. When that happens, they cannot reproduce, reducing the chances of further contamination.
Our SERVPRO technicians have the knowledge to determine which air scrubber or odor removal technique is suitable for a particular situation. Sometimes, we may be forced to combine several methods for an effective restoration process.
Contact SERVPRO of Rocky Hill / Sequoyah Hills / South Knoxville at (865) 862-8907 for effective content cleaning and restoration after a fire damage experience. We use professional equipment and techniques to do the job correctly the first time. Call us when an emergency happens to make it "Like it never even happened
Water Damage in Confined Spaces in Knoxville Homes – Call SERVPRO
Water damage mitigation to a Knoxville area home crawlspace can improve IAQ. Indoor Air Quality and protect your home's structure.
Water Damage in Crawl Spaces and Attics Present Unique Challenges in Knoxville Homes
Confined spaces are often difficult to enter and exit in Knoxville homes. Entry may be through a small trap door, there is little ventilation, and they are difficult to move around in. Plumbing leaks are common in these areas and may go unnoticed for days or weeks, depending on the size of the leak. These dark, poorly ventilated spaces are perfect for damage to insulation and structures in these spaces.
SERVPRO provides water damage restoration and cleanup in Knoxville and surrounding areas. Confined spaces present additional challenges to anyone entering the space in addition to difficult entry and exit.
- Rodent droppings may be present in attics and crawl spaces.
- Mold may be present in long-term leakage situations (Note mold can begin forming in 24 to 48 hours with the right conditions)
- Gas lines and electrical wiring may be compromised.
- Sewer gas may be present in crawl spaces.
Our SERVPRO technicians have been trained to manage these conditions and utilize the appropriate safety equipment to ensure our employees and residents of the home are safe. While it is tempting for clients to make plumbing repairs and clean up water damage themselves, the potential danger to their health and well-being should be considered.
We utilize various techniques to remove water, lower the humidity, and complete repair to the space affected by water. These include:
- Utilize personal protective gear for safe handling of material
- Verify and correct the cause of water intrusion
- Utilize water extractors – pumps, wands, moisture meters, etc.
- Introduce air movers to provide fresh dry air
- Remove permanently damaged contents, i.e., insulation
- Install dehumidifiers to dry the affected area
- Complete water damage repair and restoration as needed
SERVPRO assesses the situation and prepares recommendations for the client regarding the best approach for water damage in confined spaces.
Call SERVPRO of Rocky Hill / Sequoyah Hills / South Knoxville for water restoration services. We provide service to Knoxville and nearby areas. We can help 24/7. Call (865) 862-8907.
Water Mitigation Happens Fast in Knoxville with SERVPRO
Storm damage? Call SERVPRO. We can quickly dry and restore your home.
Water Mitigation by SERVPRO Saves Knoxville Homes from Extensive Damage
Natural disasters like storms can cause extensive structural damage to your home. If water mitigation of your Knoxville property is not done promptly, it can lead to issues that can take a lot of money and time to restore. SERVPRO’s IICRC-certified professionals use state-of-the-art technology to remove the water and dry the structure before water can permanently harm the building materials.
SERVPRO’s professional water mitigation services in Knoxville can help reduce the extent of the damage and restore your home to preloss condition as quickly as possible.
Role of Air Movement in Water Restoration
Air movement within the structure is crucial for drying. SERVPRO techs create conditions where the drying air flows across the wet surfaces, gathering excess moisture. The two characteristics of air that make it excellent for drying include the following-
- Low moisture content: Water vapor moves from a region of high vapor pressure to an area of low vapor pressure. As vapor pressure is directly related to the humidity ratio, evaporation occurs faster when the air above the wet surface has a low humidity ratio. SERVPRO techs use dehumidifiers to remove the moisture from the drying air and reduce the humidity to accelerate drying during water damage repairs.
- Temperature: Evaporation occurs faster when air directly above the wet surface is warmer than the sir’s dew point temperature. Techs use portable heaters to ensure the drying air temperature exceeds its dew point.
Why are Drying Zones Important During Water Cleanup?
SERVPRO techs establish drying zones to ensure that they can carefully control the parameters of the drying air to maximize the efficacy of drying. Rather than controlling the conditions throughout the structure, techs create areas where conditions are easier to manage.
Call SERVPRO of Rocky Hill / Sequoyah Hills / South Knoxville at (865) 862-8907 for 24/7 help.
Excellent Water Cleanup Results for Knoxville Businesses
When water damage affects your business, time is of the essence. Contact our technicians immediately for water removal and remediation services.
SERVPRO for Commercial Knoxville Water Cleanup Service
All commercial properties must have the contact information of a restoration company handy at all times. Whenever your Knoxville warehouse, office building, restaurant, or production facility has a significant spill, flooding, or burst pipes, you need water cleanup – fast! SERVPRO is in the area 24/7, including weekends and holidays, to ensure your business never misses a beat. When it comes to commercial water cleanup, our skilled technicians will scale services to meet your unique needs.
Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned – what does that mean?
SERVPRO never stops until your Knoxville commercial water cleanup, drying, and restoration is complete. Many factors set us apart from other companies in the area, including:
- 24/7 availability and customer care to handle incoming calls
- Quick response times
- Green Fleet stocked and ready, allowing us to get to your business within hours
- Your trusted partner in addressing commercial storm flooding, burst pipes, hidden leaks, and more
- Total compliance with all OSHA standards and guidelines
- Industrial-grade, commercial-quality equipment for water removal services, drying, and moisture detection
Local businesses can count on SERVPRO
Acting too slowly or attempting DIY cleanup for any water incident could bring hazards and mold growth. We have IICRC-certified water restoration technicians (WRT) ready to get started on your water cleanup needs. We adapt accordingly and scale to meet the needs of each business with efforts like:
- Water damage mitigation and total restoration
- Emergency backup power, as needed
- Addressing wet records with document recovery and restoration
- Desiccant/refrigerant drying and detailed humidity control
- Thorough cleaning with EPA-registered products and antimicrobials
Rather than taxing your employees or in-house maintenance crew with water cleanup, SERVPRO’s team is here for end-to-end service. No matter the cause, we pinpoint the problem and fix it as we handle the removal of all standing water and moisture present within your commercial property.
Call us at SERVPRO of Rocky Hill/Sequoyah Hills/South Knoxville at (865) 862-8907 when you need rapid water cleanup. We are the trusted leader for commercial and residential restorations in your area!
Quick Mold Remediation in Knoxville Halts Material Deterioration
SERVPRO provides high-quality mold remediation services. We are ready 24/7, 365 days a year.
SERVPRO Offers Knoxville Homeowners Efficient Mold Cleanup
Long-term flooding or general wetness in a house is likely to ruin most interior finishes and contents and cause microbial growth. Managing mold issues in your home requires identifying and fixing moisture sources. For example, clogged condensation pans in your HVAC system may lead to moisture damage which, when left unchecked, initiates microbial growth in that area.
Mold remediation processes in Knoxville require safety equipment to minimize exposure to chemical solutions and particulate matter hazards. Even though the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) states that a homeowner can perform cleanup on areas less than 10 square feet, you may still require professionals to safely and effectively manage the situation. SERVPRO has skilled teams who perform a thorough mold inspection to identify mold levels that may affect spaces.
Examples of PPE used during mold cleanup include
- Heavy-duty gloves
- Splash goggles
- Full body suits
When carrying out the remediation process, demolition may be necessary for non-salvageable materials. Typically moldy porous materials are best handled through replacement. Therefore professionals must put on heavy-duty gloves to help protect the hands during damaged structural material removal.
Another reason you need professionals such as SERVPRO to take on such work is because of the chemicals, techniques, and accessibility of equipment for a successful remediation. Infested materials also need to be handled and disposed of carefully, which you may need help to do.
Surface agitation helps remove colonies from surfaces. A method like vacuuming is the best to contain debris. Unlike traditional vacuum cleaners, our teams use HEPA vacuums on all contaminated surfaces to trap mold spores while releasing clean air. Before doing so, we set up containment and ventilation. Using proper ventilation and air filtration devices (AFDs) ensures that disturbed spores do not spread to uninfected areas. After physically removing the colonies, disinfecting surfaces is also crucial.
Other necessary measures include:
- Ventilation of enclosed areas
SERVPRO of Rocky Hill / Sequoyah Hills / South Knoxville takes every case of mold remediation seriously to ensure successful remediation. Call us at (865) 862-8907. We’re Faster To Any Size Disaster.
Fire Restoration in Knoxville Addresses All Issues Linked with Fire
SERVPRO provides 24/7 365 days a year quality fire damage restoration services in your area. Call now!
Call SERVPRO for Efficient Fire Restoration in Knoxville
The ruins of a fire may include things like burned furniture, destroyed staircases, holes in the roof, and water damage. The mishap’s consequences can be devastating to the homeowner. Fire damage repair services are fast in addressing every issue linked with fire.
With SERVPRO’s help, you can sort through the mess and return your property to its original condition. We provide top-tier fire restoration services in Knoxville. The main responsibilities we undertake when restoring fire-damaged homes include:
After notifying SERVPRO about the situation, our restorers can evaluate the fire damage. We can perform tests and assessments to analyze the damage and create an ideal plan for countering the destruction.
Board up and tarping
If gaping holes remain after the fire, they can invite issues like pesky wildlife and opportunist thieves. Our SERVPRO technicians can board up the openings and place tarps on the roof to safeguard your home from further destruction.
Water damage repair
During fire damage repair, we also provide water cleanup services. We can use thermal imaging cameras to see how water traveled in your residence. Our team can use an electric submersible pump to remove the standing water, powerful air movers, and dehumidifiers to dry the affected structures and contents.
Smoke and soot cleanup
A fire can cause the discoloration of walls and appliances and the formation of rust because of acid stains or acid residue. Failure to remove acidic residues promptly can result in permanent damage. Our SERVPRO crew can use innovative techniques to clean your property.
Removing odors is vital because of frustration and discomfort from unpleasant odors within a property. We can use hydroxyl machines to remove the odors. They use the same broad range of ultraviolet radiation as the sun to naturally clean and deodorize indoor environments. The hydroxyls these machines create are efficient at permanently eradicating smoke and other types of odors.
After fire damage, call SERVPRO of Rocky Hill / Sequoyah Hills / South Knoxville promptly to get your property to its pre-damaged condition. Our 24-hour hotline is (865) 328-9459.
Submersibles Help Downtown Knoxville Water Damage Restoration
When you are facing water damage, make sure to call a company that has the pumps and expertise to handle the situation. Call SERVPRO right away.
Water Damage Restoration Needs Extractors
Extraction is vital to area homes' overall water recovery and restoration processes. Standing water must be addressed promptly before greater harm to the house results. Several extractors can fit the needs of a residence, and this begins with any pooling first, which is often the target of pumps and vacuums.
What Makes Submersible Pumps Common Choices?
Submersible pumps are preferred options during water damage restoration in Downtown Knoxville for the rapid removal of standing water. Because they run on electricity, getting these units up and running fast in an emergency can be easier than larger fueled machines. Similarly, electric submersibles are more versatile and mobile, able to be moved from one room to another without considerable reconfiguration.
Are These Pumps Always Best?
While submersible pumps are versatile and mobile when standing water can threaten multiple rooms of a residence, this does not always make them the most efficient choice for the work to be done or capable of completing the work that remains. More powerful water removal tools like truck-mount or gas-powered trash pumps often best perform deep extraction needs. Similarly, too shallow damage is not remedied by the submersible pump and requires wet vacuums.
What Extractors Can Help After a Loss?
Because submersible pumps are not always the best choice, it can be beneficial for homeowners to understand and identify other equipment that SERVPRO might use in their homes to complete water mitigation and restoration services. Some of these can include:
- Wet Vacuums
- Truck-Mount Pumps
- Trash Pumps
Choosing the right extraction tool during water mitigation is important to protect property and contents. In many cases, the appropriate water removal tool is a submersible pump. Our SERVPRO of Rocky Hill / Sequoyah Hills / South Knoxville team arrives with the full measure of our inventory to begin necessary cleanup and extraction when you call (865) 862-8907.